Take a deep breath, smell the roses, put your feet up, and soak up the sun! Today is National Relaxation Day! A day that is celebrated every year on August 15th. We encourage you to take measure of your body and release some stress today. Take it slow and spend some time resting and relaxing! We all spend so much time being busy and dealing with the stress of everyday life. The effects of stress can affect you physically, mentally, and keep you from really appreciating life. So today we encourage you to consciously take time to relax and destress today, whether it’s all day or a few minutes.
Here are some ways we suggest that you can decompress today!
- Be present. Get rid of the electronic noise today. Turn off the notifications on social media. Put your phone away. Turn off your phone and be here now. Don’t let the distractions of the outside world bog you down.
- Deep breathing or focused meditation. There are numerous apps that can help people walk through meditation, as well as a plethora of YouTube videos. Take 5 to 10 minutes to get yourself centered.
- Yoga or stretching. Release that tension you are holding throughout your body! Find a local studio, stretch on your own, or find a video on YouTube. We recommend Yoga with Adrienne!
- Go for a leisurely stroll. Take your time, stop and smell the roses and soak up the outside world. Enjoy some outside time and let nature do it’s thing.
- Take a hot bath. Add a scented candle and some bath bubbles. Read a good book and soak in the relaxation.
- Get a massage! There is something to be said about getting a massage from a licensed massage therapist. They are expertly trained in working the knots and tension in your muscles. Totally worth it!
- Play with a pet! Play fetch with your dog. Pet your cat. Cuddle and destress!
- Listen to music. Pick relaxing music or your favorite music. Get lost in the sounds and really listen.
- Do what you love doing! Make time for the hobbies you enjoy. Paint a picture, play a video game, read a book, or do a puzzle. Whatever activity you have fun doing, do it today!
- Watch a funny movie or TV show. Laughing is a known stress reliever! Have fun and laugh!
Whatever you decide to do today, make sure you take some time to pause and relax. Life is not a marathon. So whatever it is that helps you unwind, today is a day that you should definitely do it.