May 31st is World No Tobacco Day. A day that is designated to call to attention the negative and potentially life altering effects of tobacco in all its forms. This year the World Health Organization has launched a campaign with the theme “Don’t Let Tobacco Take Your Breath Away.” The goal of the campaign is to educate people of the world on the harmful effect that smoking and secondhand smoke has on the lungs. It wants to bring awareness to such things as lung cancer, COPD, respiratory infections, effects of exposure to children in-utero, and much more.¹
While it’s no secret that tobacco is harmful to your health and to those around you, we know that tobacco and nicotine can be a powerful addiction. If you are struggling with tobacco addiction we at Conover want to encourage you to choose health and seek ways to help curb those cravings. We know it isn’t easy, but we do know that you are worth it. In fact, the benefits of quitting are abundant! Clearer eyes, better hearing, decreased heart disease risks, stopping lung disease in its track, an improved immune system, and way more! The nicotine receptors in your brain return to normal levels in about a month! Where could you be in just a month?²
Here are some suggestions we have for quitting tobacco!
- Make a plan! If you want to stop smoking, just wanting it is not enough. A goal without a plan is just a wish, right? Set a quit date. Write your reason for quitting down, find accountability partners, and go for it!
- Try a nicotine replacement therapy! Find a good replacement of nicotine that will wean yourself off of your dependency on tobacco and nicotine. Through patch, lozenge, nicotine gum, or more. There is more information here.
- Chew gum. Replace the cigarette habit with a minty flavor!
- Take up a new hobby. Keep your hands busy. Draw, knit, or do puzzles. Find something that distracts you from your cravings.
- Physical exercise. When you feel that craving hit, replace it with those good endorphins. Go for a walk or find a great exercise video on Youtube. Just get moving!
- Practice mindfulness! Find a guided meditation or follow a yoga practice. Center yourself and focus on those goals.
- Surround yourself with supportive people who will lift you up and encourage you! Remember that your friends and loved ones should want you to be healthy.
- Choose to go places that are smoke free. That way you won’t be tempted by other smokers.
- If stress is a trigger for you to smoke, figure out what causes that stress and cope with those feelings! Do it now, you are worth it.
- Do NOT give up! It is possible for you to quit smoking.³
Quitting something as addicting as smoking isn’t easy, but we know that you can do it. Choosing to place importance on your health is not something you will regret, and it will improve your quality of life immensely. Just know that we here at Conover are in your corner. You got this!