It’s National Hot Dog Day today, and here at Conover we are excited! This summer-time staple is a favorite of ours. From regular ball park franks, to gourmet sausage dogs, and vegan dogs. There is a hot dog for everyone. The hot dog is such a nostalgic food that not only brings you back to childhood memories, but it’s also reminiscent of special events. Hot dogs go hand-in-hand with sporting events, barbecues, camping trips, and trips to late night street vendors. We also love the versatility of hot dogs! The toppings and ways to prepare hot dogs are infinite! There are many places that have special deals on hot dogs today, and even lots of places where you can get trendy gourmet brats. But if you don’t feel like going out to grab one, let us remind you of some easy, wonderful ways to enjoy and celebrate today.
- The Classic! We suggest a toasted bun, add your hot dog, and then allow your personality to really shine through with the toppings. Are you a ketchup, mustard, relish, and onions person? Maybe you enjoy cheese on your hot dog! Cream cheese, shredded cheese, or nacho cheese. Or maybe you are super adventurous and prefer your dog with jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, potato chips, or more. Whatever you prefer, or are ready to try, today is the day to give it a go! The hot dog is your palette, and you are the artist!
- Chili dogs! You could say that chili is just another topping, but we disagree. Chili dogs deserve to be in a category of their own. Top with cheese and onions and eat with a fork! So messy. So good.
- Corn Dogs! There is little better than going to a fair and enjoying a hand-dipped corn dog. It comes on it’s own stick, so your hand doesn’t get messy and you can dip it into the sauce of your choice. The satisfaction of biting into a breaded, honey, corn dog bliss is one we wait all year for! Definitely a wonderful way to eat a hot dog.
- Mac and cheese and hot dogs! We don’t care if you cut up your hot dogs and put it in the mac and cheese, or you take your mac and cheese and put it on your hot dog. That fact is, these two belong together. Whether it’s Kraft Mac and Cheese or we class it up with a fancier version. There is no more nostalgic way to eat a hot dog.
- Quesadilla Dog! The last way we will suggest is maybe not as common as the others, but it is just as easy, tasty, and perhaps nostalgic. A tortilla and cheese wrapped hot dogs! There are all kinds of ways you can make this, but may we suggest the good old microwave route! It makes a great quick lunch or dinner to celebrate the day.
There are so many ways to prepare hot dogs. You can be as creative or as classic as you want with them. We hope that you choose to partake in celebrating this American staple. We certainly will be!